[nagdu] Debate rages over whether dog is service animal or pet

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 31 01:29:51 UTC 2010

Dear Steve & Julie,
    IMO, it isn't a matter of whether the dog should or should not be in the
courthouse. There probably isn't a specific law that says, "Dog/pets cannot
enter the courthouse". It is a matter of policy. The laws concerning service
animals require a "modification of policies, practices, & procedures" to
allow a disabled person to be accompanied by a service animal. Allowing a
dog into the courthouse,even if it is not a service dog, may simply be a
"modification"  of the "No Pet/Animals" policy. Furthermore, since the dog
is the focus of the hearing, such a modification of the policy may have been
mandated by the judge/hearing officer.

Fraternally yours,
Marion