[nagdu] Thought you all might find this interesting - AirTran fined $500K for disability violations

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:27:01 UTC 2010

Please also remember you can find daily updates on my wordpress.com account
http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com  This is why to report issues to
the air carriers and to the government when there are issues on your
flights, and you know that they are violating your rights.

>From Travel Weeklyn
By: Michael Fabey
August 30, 2010
The Transportation Department today assessed a civil penalty of about
$500,000 against AirTran for failing to meet DOT requirements for providing
proper boarding assistance for disabled passengers and other violations of
federal disability regulations, the agency said.

In addition to the boarding assistance violations, AirTran also frequently
did not provide an adequate written response to complaints from passengers
and failed to properly categorize disability complaints in reports filed
with the DOT, the agency said.

To reduce the civil penalty, the DOT said, AirTran may use up to $200,000 to
improve its service to disabled passengers beyond what is required by law.
Up to $60,000 may be used to establish a council to help the carrier comply
with federal disability rules and hire a manager for disability
accommodations. Additionally, up to $140,000 may be used to develop an
automated system to track AirTran's wheelchair assistance performance at its
major hub airports.

AirTran spokesman Christopher White said the airline has begun implementing
those initiatives and others to better serve passengers with special needs.

Problems loading Disqus?

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
C10-10646

http://Echevarriatravel.com
1-866-580-5574
skype: angeldn3

Reservations at echevarriatravel.com
Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise and Travel Inc.