[nagdu] judging levels of independence

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:38:43 UTC 2010

Meghan,
I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm Deafblind and have very poor
balance from the same inner ear disorder which causes my deafness.
Because of these factors, I have a very hard time doing things that
may seem perfectly "simple" to a blind hearing person who has normal
balance and coordination.
I can't tell you how many times at state and national conventions I've
received snide, and nasty remarks from people because I couldn't do
"simple" things such as orient myself using audible cues, or take a
flight of steps at a speed other than a crawl.  These are just some of
the examples of things I have had people judge me for not doing "the
right way."
I've even been told I need more training because I chose to take a bit
of a detour and cross a street with better traffic patterns rather
than a street with only a four-way stop.

I think of myself as a pretty independent person.  I have two jobs,
have an active social life, get where I need to go, and live a
satisfying life.  But some people say that I need more training or
that I'm not a good traveler or that I need to improve my skills.
I wager we all could improve some skill or other; this goes for
everyone-- able-bodied or a PWD.
It's sad when folks come to these swift judgements about a person's
skills or ability.
I work with newly blinded people all the time and I've learned that if
I support them, be an example, show them the opportunities out there,
a person will make more progress than if I sat on my high horse and
made judgement calls about their skill levels or attitude about
blindness.

OK, off the soapbox now.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds:
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe."-Albert Einstein
http://www.pawpowercreations.com
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl