[nagdu] responsible handling and ownership

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Wed Dec 8 18:09:51 UTC 2010

Jeanine,

You pose some very interesting points to consider. First, from a handlers
perspective, I would hate to think that there are guides out there who are
growling at people or even that their handlers allow that sort of behavior.
I become concerned in as much as a guide trained at a school or foundation
for the most part is not considered for guide work if  they exhibit even the
slightest amount of aggression. So, is this something the handler is either
teaching or nurturing in the guide? if so, then, as a school with a
reputation it is in the best interest of the school to investigate these
this matter and act accordingly. The schools reputation and the reputation
and access for all handlers and their guides is at risk. The weight thing
for me is a business issues in as much as a school wants a team to be
together as long as is possible and a dog being over weight could shorten a
teams time together.  Regarding misrepresentation of ability or past
experiences not fully divulged in an interview process is a breach of
contract and any school is well within their rights to recall a dog or
perhaps deny the handler to return for another dog. However, all that is
avoidable if the schools actually do background checks and investigations
into the individuals  prior to inviting them to take one of their guides. If
all that is not acceptable to some, then they always have the option as so
many on this list choose and  do so very effectively to train their own dogs
and forgo the whole process of involving big brother per say.

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.