[nagdu] a couple questions

Doug Parisian eggmann at mts.net
Wed Dec 8 23:38:25 UTC 2010

Actually in Canada, we don't live in houses during the winter; we build
Igloos and use whale blubber as a heat source.  Of course, there's a reason
why the Inuit eat whale meat and blubber, you'd blubber too if you had to
eat whale meat.  That feels better!

People who live in cold climates, except for Canadians of course, build
properly insulated houses with appropriate heating--hot water or steam
radiators, radiant heating systems built into the floor, forced air heating
which is produced by some type of fuel heated furnace (this might include
electricity)  The furnace has a fan to blow the heated air through ducts to
warm the house.  And on it goes.

As for relieving the dog, if we can't teach them to use a regular toilet, we
wrap up with insulated garments, (don't forget the toque or some other head
face and ear covering.)  Dogs for the most part adapt well to seriously cold
weather except when waiting at traffic lights and bus stops which can be
painful for them at say, minus 40.  The real issue is of course, cold feet
(we're not talking cowardess here.)  Booties may help but they are
troublesome inasmuch as the dog looses that part of an important tactile
input.  Further, getting on and off busses causes the boots to get wet in
the puddles on the floor from melted human boot snow and that makes things
even worse.

Doug: When it's springtime in Alaska, it's 40 below.