[nagdu] Owner training your own dog

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Dec 9 01:11:48 UTC 2010

Jeff,

I find my dogs by contacting everyone within a 100 mile radius who has a dog
that needs a new home.  I also contact a few places out of that range but
that look promising.  I have talked with breeders, breed rescue, people with
ads in the newspaper, small shelters and huge high kill shelters.  I drag my
family all over the countryside looking at dogs until they are at the brink
of insanity.  It's fun, for me at least, if a bit tedious.  finding the
right dog is the hardest part.

I learned everything I would need to know by asking anyone and everyone that
would answer me.  I read everything I could find that had anything even
remotely related to guide dogs and guide dog training.  I ended up mostly
reading about other types of service dog training because that was all that
was available.  The rest I learned by trial and error.

No, guide dog schools are not open to having anything to do with owner
training.  Sometimes it's a definite issue of superiority.  And sometimes
it's just that the trainer from a program can't work with someone that's not
from their school.  I have talked with trainers from TSE and GDF about
general guide dog issues and they were interested and respectful.  I have
never heard of a guide dog trainer from any of the programs assisting in any
way with owner training.

You're right it is time consuming and a lot of work.  It would probably be
easier to go through a program.  I wasn't so interested in easy though.  For
me owner training is something that comes from my heart.  I do it because I
love it, not because it's easy or convenient.

And for the rest of the story you have to wait for the book! *smile*

HTH
Julie