[nagdu] Hawaii

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 08:07:12 UTC 2010

Jordan,

That happens.  Typos and dogs making it out of training that shouldn't.  Or
just bad matches.  I've always been sort of terrified at being one of those
who gets a bad match or a dog that got graduated when it should have
flunked, but sometimes I'm impressed at how many great matches the major
programs do get right.

Owner-trainers get huffy about the term "self-trained" because we've worked
our backsides off to turn the promising pup we started out with into a guide
dog.  I'm not saying I didn't love every minute, even the bad ones, so it's
hard to think of it as work in the form of toil.  Still!  You do put forth
some effort there!  /smile/  So does the dog, at least if its worthy of
being a guide dog by nature.  And my dog has certainly taught me an awful
lot.  Still.  I was the one training her.  /smile/

Oh, also, we tend to shoot for a 100 percent success rate, since we only
have one dog to train at a time.  There's still a certain element of luck
involved in starting out with a promising prospect and actually having a
guide dog later on...  There were a few periods with Mitzi when I thought I
would have to just suck it up and throw in the towel, but I manage to come
up with solutions by the seat of my pants for a couple of unacceptable
behavioral problems.  Obnoxious scurvy cur!  /smile/  Her temperament is
terrific, though, and she eventually came around to my way of thinking.
Whew!  I like having her as a working guide, and the idea of having gone
through all that time and effort just to have a real cool pet was not one I
enjoyed.  Still.  It's the owner-trainer's decision to make, because the
owner-trainer is responsible.  Also, the owner-trainer will bear the
consequences of getting it wrong.  So there's some motivation there to make
good decisions.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney