[nagdu] owner trained dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 20:37:16 UTC 2010

Albert,

You got that exactly right!  /grin/

I'm sure there must owner-trainers out there who are plumb lazy and can't
bother to train their dogs to do more than drag them down the sidewalk so
they can drool in the meat counter at the grocery store  and bite some
children or something.

Then again, with a guide dog, if you don't do the work and pay attention
(more than your actual lifetime supply of it!), there's a good chance you
won't be around long enough to cause anybody any problems.

When I was training Mitzi and people would fret about how They (the
notorious They) could make sure I did it right and all that, I would grin
roguishly and point out that if I didn't do it right, I was going to be the
one that got hit by a bus.

Oh...  They would say thoughtfully.  They had never thought of it that way,
it would turn out.

So it was kinda an extreme thing to say, but it really did clear things
right up for people.

I spent about 19 months thinking about that way every second of every day.
If we're going to do this, we'd better get right, because if we don't,
someone's going to get hurt, and it will be us.

This sort of thinking is necessary, because it is completely true and
rational for the real world.  It is also very, very motivating!  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney