[nagdu] owner trained dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 04:32:27 UTC 2010

I wasn't sure about this one at first, but I agree with Tami and Rox.
I think that as long as you can show your dog can work well for you or
whatever the law actually says, your good to go.  Yes, people who get
there dogs from programs have certification cards.  Yes, these are
rather helpful, but should they be necessary?  No.  It doesn't make
sense.  That would mean that somehow owner trainers are beneath
program trained dogs, which is so not the truth.  You owner trainers
really impress me, if and only if, it's because of what Tami said.  If
you do something wrong, it's you who has to pay for it.  I'm such a
perfectionist, this scares me crazy.  So...  Owner trainers are
awesome and shouldn't be left out or unfairly treated.  I've been in
situations before, where if I hadn't had that "doggy id" I felt like I
would have been in trouble.  I've always wondered what owner trainers
would do.  It's easy enough to argue that the law says you don't need
it, but would they believe you?  Have any of you encountered a problem
like this?