[nagdu] questions I get from my bus driver that is not an accessible bus just regular bus

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 11:53:14 UTC 2010

Cheryl,
    The answers are actually, in my opinion, quite simple. First of all, the
DOJ recognizes that not all service animals are trained by a program, as is
the case with several members of NAGDU who have trained their own guide
dogs. These dogs are as much a service animal as those who have been trained
by a program. Individuals who train their own dogs do not have
"documentation" of the training. This is the primary reason the DOJ has
determined that no documentation can be required as a prerequisite for
access. Furthermore, the DOJ allows an entity to deny an individual with a
disability the right to be accompanied by their service animal if the animal
poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be
mitigated by a reasonable modification of policies, practices, and
procedures or if the animal is out of control and the handler does not take
immediate action to correct the behavior. In this latter case, the denial
must be based upon the actual behavior of the animal, not upon an assumption
of how the animal will behave. If an entity makes the decision to not allow
an individual with a disability the right to be accompanied by their service
animal, the entity must allow the individual access without the dog being
present.
    In the case you cite, the entity would be within its rights, in my lay
opinion, to refuse to allow the woman to be accompanied by her dog because
of its pattern of agressive, out-of-control behavior. The entity must,
however, allow the woman access to the system without the dog.
    For your information - as well as for that of anyone who wishes it - I
have attached "Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals". Feel free
to make copies and give it to those with your transit provider who conduct
training and establish policies.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala