[nagdu] Owner training your own dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 16:54:24 UTC 2010

Yup!  Whenever people ask, the theme that comes shining through from all of
the owner-trainers who answer is that each and every one of them absolutely
*loves* doing it.

When people here and there ask me what it takes to become an owner-trainer
because they think they might like to, the questions are so often about the
dog itself.  Which is easy, if not simple.

But I'm still working towards a really good way to communicate that before
you go looking for a dog, you need to take a good look at you, take a good
look at what you're about to get yourself into and see if the two images
match.  Er...  Not the best metaphor, since the person is probably blind,
but I'm working on it.

I've decided the first trait the trainer needs to succeed is love of
training.  That much hard work and toil would do me in!  But when it's all
good, clean fun, that's a whole new ballgame!  The joys outweigh the
frustrations and exhaustion and keeps you getting up in the morning so you
can do it all some more!  Yay!  /lol/

Either that, or we're all completely nuts, you know.  I'm never quite sure.
/grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney