[nagdu] Enforcement of laws

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 20:10:39 UTC 2010

Tracy,

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only guide dog handler who gets to be mortified now
and then because my guide dog is being a twit in front of a perfectly
behaved pet.

Actually, I'm with you, since there are well-behaved dogs all over the place
here, too.  For the most part, people hold themselves and their dogs to high
standards of behavior, so everyone is happy, including the dogs.  In fact,
that's why I'm really so lenient about greeting of the guide dog.  It's just
polite to say hi to dogs when you pass them on the sidewalk, in the store,
where ever.  Dogs are citizens, too!  /lol/  Still!  If you don't admire the
dog and talk to it nicely, that's just rude.  Ignoring the human in favor of
the dog is perfectly normal and acceptable.  It's kinda silly when you think
about it, but it seems to work.

Except for the bad apples who cause problems, then everybody who is tired of
having dogs everywhere because they don't like them gets het up about all
the horrible dogs and how something needs to be done...  Human nature, I
guess.  I do not notice that cracking down on all the responsible dog owners
has any impact on the few bad apples whose dogs cause problems.

When the dogs cause problems, the dogs are put down, and the owner goes out
and gets another dog having paid no penalty at all.  This approach does not
make sense to me, but the people in charge want to politic, and the people
reporting the news want ratings, and everybody else wants to run around
screeching...  Which all makes me want to run around screeching, honestly.

I'm still not coming up with a hard and fast solution that will solve the
problem for once and for all.  I just think it might be nice if the people
who were causing the problems were the people who were punished, especially
since they're breaking the law to begin with...  Our leash laws say "on
leash or under control."  If the dog causes a problem, it's not under
control, is it?  So pay for the damages, pay for the fine, and let's use
your example to come up with penalties so that you can't just go out and do
it again.

Not that I have an opinion or anything.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney