[nagdu] Guide Dog Use

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 21:49:54 UTC 2010

Jordan,
You are correct about it being the busiess' choice whether they allow
a pet in or not. When I had a Bengal cat who wanted to go everywhere
with me on her lead, I learned this first hand. I was out wandering in
theReston Town Center, a kind of outdoor mall (not a strip mall), just
walking Sybil and window shopping. Several employees from various
stores came out to see Sybil, and mentioned that I could come in if
they want. It seems what most stores are worrid about is not the
little cats and dogs that sit on the owner's shoulders, curl up under
a table, or rest in arms, but the large-breed dogs that have 'deadly'
tails, whether the dog is dangerous or not. It is something I've
learned from experience that labrador retrievers often have very
deadly tails, hitting people, table legs, and merchandise. The
well-trained dog can control themself, but many do not. Oh, and have
you ever seen the sweeping mess a golden's tail can make? Oh boy...

The only exception I know to whether a business can allow a pet in is
when health is an issue, such as a buffet where a pet cat might jump
up to get a bite or an open kitchen. Most places bar pets just to
prevent law suits and keep people from demanding entrance with their
growling dog or loose snake, but they'll make exceptions

On 12/10/10, Jordan Gallacher <jgallacher1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was talking to a friend about the whole passing off a pet as a service
> animal and it is really the business's choice whether or not to allow pets
> in.  There still needs to be protection under the law that makes it illegal
> to pass the pet off as a service animal.  How to do that, there are a few
> ways to prove your animal is a service animal which have been mentioned in
> other posts.
>
> Jordan

~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!
Treasure Chest for the Blind: http://blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com