[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: contact with puppy raisers/walkers

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Thu Dec 16 19:17:23 UTC 2010

Here, maybe this will help. While it doesn't address puppy raisers specifically, it does address the philosophical reasons generally, I think.

From "Dogs Against darkness", by Dixon Hartwell, circa 1942:

     What the new applicant must do, however, is to assume the
responsibility for eventually repaying the sum of $150 for
everything that The Seeing Eye provides for him - dog, board and
lodging, equipment, tuition, etc. - when and as he becomes able
to do it.  The Seeing Eye is not concerned whether it takes him
two years or five years.  It believes any man whom it has
investigated and accepted as eligible is entitled to a credit
rating.
     For some of these blind people it is the first time in their
lives anyone has given them financial trust.  That fact alone has
been a powerful factor in the rehabilitation of not a few who
have come to The Seeing Eye.
     Under its first plan, The Seeing Eye permitted a contributor
to propose the name of a prospective student for whom his
contribution was to be used. Today The Seeing Eye revolts at the
very thought of such a practice.  A contributor may certainly
suggest the name of an individual whom he thinks ought to have a
dog, but he cannot contribute directly to aid that man, only
indirectly by contributing to the school's general budget, from
which all expense is paid.
     This policy has far-reaching significance.  It was
determined upon as the result of extensive experience and its
value has been demonstrated in many instances.  It was indicated
by observation of several members of the first groups of men and
women who came to The Seeing Eye, each "sponsored" by someone who
had donated a scholarship for him.
     One such man was a pianist of moderate ability.  He needed a
dog, and a service club to which he belonged, in the spirit of
good fellowship and with the best intentions in the world,
underwrote the cost of his training at The Seeing Eye.  Members
of the club gave him a big send-off and a month later when he
returned, ready to enjoy his independence, an appropriate welcome
home.  He told the club members he wanted to do something to
repay them for their kindness to him.  They said such spirit was
fine and he could provide the piano music at their weekly
luncheon meetings.
     Grateful for what they had done, he readily assented, and at
the next meeting of the club showed up eager and willing.  He
showed up every week thereafter for ten years, playing without
compensation and without it once being suggested to him by his
benefactors that he might in that time have fulfilled his
obligation to the club.  Even if they had considered his service
worth only $5.00 a performance, the value he returned to them was
something over $2,500, which was not a bad rate of interest on
the club's original investment of $375.
     But this disproportionate return on the investment was not
all that made such an arrangement wrong.  The blind man might
have been glad to play at the club luncheons every week for the
rest of his life, had it been considered his contribution to the
club. What was wrong was something else much more serious.
     Never a day passed in that community as this man, appearing
on the streets with his dog, went about his business, without
some person pointing him out and saying, either mentally or, as
was more usual audibly, "There goes the Men's Club dog." That man
was, and is, reminded every day of his life that he was a
recipient of charity.  He can never free himself from the fact
that a group of people chipped in to buy him something because he
was blind.  In many desperate confidential letters to The Seeing
Eye, that man has declared that, if personal conditions had
permitted, he would long since have moved from his home town just
to escape the stigma which he felt was forever on him.
     So today The Seeing Eye allows neither clubs nor individuals
to enjoy the doubtful privilege of pointing to any of its
graduates and saying, "That man's dog is the one I bought him."
At least fifty times a year someone asks the organization if he
may buy a dog for a particular blind man. Every such request is
refused, but rarely are the individuals convinced of the value of
The Seeing Eye's policy.  The urge to bask in the glory of
personal charitable deeds and to have the personal gratitude of
the recipient is still a very strong one.  But The Seeing Eye
sticks to its guns.  It firmly believes that no one who has the
real interests of a blind person at heart will want to buy him a
dog merely to get personal credit for it, knowing that by doing
so he would rob the blind man of a golden opportunity to do
something for himself which he greatly needs to do.
     The privilege enjoyed by the early scholarship donors, of
keeping in touch with the blind person either directly or
indirectly through The Seeing Eye, is today equally abhorrent to
the organization.  From time to time it informs people who
contribute more than a small sum annually of progress made by
individual graduates, although names and identifying places are
usually changed.  But that is as far as the organization goes.
     If a contributor were in touch with a blind person, there
would be temptations on both sides.  First the contributor would
naturally be anxious and interested to meet his beneficiary.  If
the blind student were not in as good financial circumstances as
he would like to be, the contributor might be moved to make
personal contributions, the receiving of which might undermine
the strength of character the blind person was struggling to
build within himself.  On the other hand, the blind person, being
in direct communication with a "sponsor" deeply interested in him
- a person possessing greater means possibly than required for
individual comfort - might be tempted to accept help now and then
to ease himself over a difficult spot.  In either case there is
serious risk of the blind person getting the worst thing he could
have - outright charity.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY