[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: contact with puppy raisers/walkers

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 15:56:12 UTC 2010

In the past, I've gone to a program which allowed handler and raiser
contact, and even instigated such contact via a graduation ceremony.

I had a really great relationship with the folks who raised my first
dog.  They weren't pushy or demanding at all and it was wonderful just
to get to meet them and later have a very cordial relationship with
them.
My second dog's raisers were demanding and went so far as to tell me
that if my dog wasn't a breeder then they would have rather she were
dropped from the program and lived with them.  They kept pressuring me
to give them to her when she retired and when she did retire and when
I informed them of my choice to keep her, they became pretty angry.

Some raisers seem to feel like the handlers do owe them and that we
must not ever forget to be grateful for what they have done.
Some raisers get seem to get upset if regular contact isn't maintained
by the handler because they have "the right to know" how the dog they
raised is doing.
I've met some really great raisers, but after my experiences with my
last set of raisers, and after the tantrums thrown by some raisers on
email lists because the handler isn't doing things the way the raiser
would, I think I will be very careful if I pick a program to make sure
I find one which gives me the choice about raiser contact.

I know there must be raisers from TSE who want raiser contact, and my
feeling is, they can either work within the program to make changes or
they can raise for GEB or GDF or other area programs which have a
contact policy which is more to their liking.
Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds:
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe."-Albert Einstein
http://www.pawpowercreations.com
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl