[nagdu] Comments & Input Requested by TSA

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 00:59:34 UTC 2010

Dear All,
    Over the Thanksgiving holiday, there were several messages concerning the screening policy of the Transportation Security Administration as it relates to individuals who use service animals and the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) screening machines in use at several airports. Several of you wanted to know more about this policy and why individuals who use service animals were excluded from the AIT. I wrote to the Chair of the TSA Disability Coalition on which I serve requesting more information about this policy. Here is her reply.

"The technological problem arises with more than one being, body, or person in the AIT.  The AIT algorithm is designed to interpret electromagnetic waves reflected from one body in the unit.  If a person and service animal (or any individual carrying any animal) were scanned by an AIT unit at the same time, the unit would attempt to generate an image of one person, which would result in an image entirely unusable for security purposes.  For this same reason, a parent holding a child in his or her arms cannot undergo AIT screening - our current technology cannot electronically process an image of more than one person/figure  at a time.

As for AIT scanning a person without the service animal the current procedures using the metal detector appear preferable because, consistent with what is considered best practices, they are designed not to separate the service animal from its master. In addition,  with all of the other things going on at the checkpoint, we can't reasonably expect our officers to maintain control of the animal if the owner was separated from the animal  to undergo AIT screening separately, and as you know that is not required by the ADA/Rehabilitation Act.  That being said, if someone with a service animal is traveling with someone else who can maintain control of the service animal and they are otherwise able to hold the stance with their hands above their head for 5 to 7 seconds, they may undergo screening using AIT if that is their preference."

    I recently was contacted by the TSA requesting input on a new policy that would allow individuals who use service animals to have the option of undergoing AIT screening while the service animal is outside the machine. I have been asked to solicit input from our members concerning such a new policy and its practical application. Please send comments to me at

President at NAGDU.ORG

Though discussion of this issue on the list is acceptable, to ensure your comments are heard, please send them directly to me at the above email address.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users
National Federation of the Blind