[nagdu] blind sided sorta

Stepper stepper12 at cableone.net
Mon Feb 1 04:56:45 UTC 2010

Hello to all listers.

The following may seem ridiculous, however, I believe I am not alone in one of the biggest surprises of my life.

Please read this letter I wrote that was published in my home town in the paper this last weekend.

There is no one that depends on there hearing more than those of us that are blind.

I went to a well known local non-profit organization and had a hearing test by a doctor of Audiology at the tune of $166.00.

I was told I needed $6,500 worth of hearing aids that they just happen to have in stock. .

I went to a hearing aid store and was told basically the very same thing again.

I decided to have my ears checked out by a ear doctor before committing to that kind of spending.

! surprise! The doctor found my ears were impacted with ear wax, even though I clean my ears routinely.

The doctor said there is a percentage of people that this is a life time problem.

It would have been discovered

I than remembered that my mother while alive had to have her ears cleaned out by a doctor regularly. However, I never gave it a thought that I may have the same problem.

None of my children have ever had there ears messed with and there all around 40's now.

if either place would have looked in my ears with a light.

Guess what? I can hear fine now. How many people are sold expensive hearing aids when a good cleaning will work.

Beware! clean first, buy second.

This is after the letter. I would have never known, and was having more and more trouble hearing as time past for years now. I just still can't believe it was wax.

Here's the real killer, I am now 63 years old, and was issued aids twice in my life before hand, but was always fussing with them. Turning them up and down, taking them and out.

It makes me believe its always been a deep cleaning problem all this time.

I was also having a really hard time with traffic with left turn lanes, and really screwed up when the guide dog rep was here for the Juno walk.

He is the one that told me to get my hearing checked

That if I couldn't end up hearing better than this, I wouldn't be able to go for a dog..

I hope this helps someone somewhere sometime

.Stepper