[nagdu] Guide dog starter age

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC Inc) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Feb 2 17:58:36 UTC 2010

To me, it isn't so much about the inability to handle the responsibility
though that is a part. For me, the concern is the lack of choice. It's
very hard for a teenager or anybody living under Mom and Dad's roof to
say "No" to a dog when Mom and Dad and all the family and friends are
saying "but the dog will make you more independent" or "You're so
independent, a dog will only enhance that".
I think as parents, it's very difficult to not impose what we want or
think we want on our kids, and it's difficult as offspring to know when
to give in, when not to, and how to tell the difference between
something we really want, v. something we think we should want.