[nagdu] Guide dog starter age

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Feb 3 19:15:00 UTC 2010

Hi Albert,
You are correct in that people do these things to kids and make them feel
bad about themselves.  Young kids can't be totally responsible for an
animal's life - I'm talking about very young kids.  They aren't developed
enough.  Responsibility is something we need to teach our kids in a manner
that they will succeed at.

The young kid getting a service dog learns this with the parent teaching the
child how to care for his dog. As the kid matures, he will be able to take
on more and more responsibility.

I have nothing against under 16 people getting guide dogs.  But, you'll have
to agree with me in that their parents have to be very involved in both the
training and the work after the training so the team is successful.  Like I
said, some people are fairly mature at age 12 and some don't seem to ever
get the knack of being responsible for anything at any age!  And
importantly, the kid has to WANT this for himself - not because the parent
desires this for the kid.

What I never seem to understand is why don't blind kids get mobility
training as pre-schoolers?  They can start as soon as they walk and they can
learn orientation skills before a white cane is ever put into their hands.
If they get this early, then there's no reason why they can't get a guide
dog if they want and qualify for one. When I was school age, blind kids
didn't get ANY O&M skills training until they were in High School!  A very
bad idea!!

I don't know if you grew up with pets or not.  I grew up with cats and later
other small animal pets like guinea pigs, turtles, fish, birds.  My Mom had
to remind us to feed the animals at times.  She instilled in us that if we
were to have pets they must be properly cared for.  If we didn't want to do
this, then we'd get rid of the pets.

Then you get the people - of any age - who don't want the responsibility of
animal care.  I get mad at the ones who have animals anyway and they don't
give the animal what it needs.  Others just won't have pets and I respect
that.

So, no, I'm not insulting a kid's intelligence, just don't want anyone to
throw a responsibility onto them before the kid is ready or willing to take
it on.

BTW, if you take your statements about how society treats kids, magnify that
a hundredfold and you get how society treats its' DISABLED and BLIND kids!
It's no fun growing up in a society that has very low expectations for you
because you have a disability - I know, I was raised in such an attitude in
society.  Because of groups like NFB and ACB, that is slowly changing for
the young kids of today.

Take care!

Lyn and Landon