[nagdu] Interesting Names Re: guide dog book about young person

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 17:41:48 UTC 2010

Linda,

Well, you do know how to accessorize.  /grin/

Shortly before I moved out here, a young polish woman began bringing her GSD
puppy to the park.  He must be a really big fella by now!  I think she used
some German -- or maybe Polish -- commands. With her accent, they sounded
wonderfully exotic and very fitting to her german dog! /smile/  She and the
owner of the young yet huge Belgian shepherd were both starting early
training for that German dog sport I'm about to mangle the name of.
Schatzhund?  Something like that. I was really intrigued and began to
consider working some of that into Mitzi's training to keep her busy while
she was growing up enough to be a guide dog -- she got the commands and
guide work down so fast that there wasn't a lot to do there for awhile
except review, reinforce and let her do "work" on limited safe routes until
she grew up a bit more and was ready to expand a smidge, and so on.  I
really didn't want to her get stale before she was old enough to go to work,
so I was hard up for some way to keep that busy young mind out of trouble
and moving in the right direction as it finished developing.  I also thought
it wouldn't hurt to have her cross-trained in something in case she needed a
fall back if guide work didn't pan out for her.

Anyway, they almost had me hooked until they got to the guard dog facet of
the sport.  /smile/  Not the best choice of avocation for a guide dog!  So I
just enjoyed watching them introduce the fundamentals with their dogs while
I played with Mitzi.

I liked having Mitzi watch the shepherds learn obedience because she picks
up so much from other dogs!  Neither puppy was up to more than a quick
recall and release, with maybe a brief sit stay, in the middle of play.
That shepherd response to commands, though, is so totally opposite of
Mitzi's poodle style.  I can't see the current crop of subadult shepherds at
our new park as well, except as vague silhouettes, but I still do like to
watch them.  Poodles do seem to have very similar personality traits, much
more so than with labs or goldens, but the differences in how they express
those traits are fun to observe, too.

The Polish woman's accent wasn't strong, but it was really lovely, I
thought.  I ran into an older gentleman from Poland on the bus and was able
to recognize his accent.  We ended up having an intriguing conversation
about language, in fact, since he spoke 5 of them.

He tried Polish on Mitzi. She gave him a bored look.  Then German.  Nope.
Spanish?  She was mildly curious.  Then he spoke to her in French, and she
grinned and wagged her tale.  /lol/  Guess she really is a French poodle!
He got a big kick out of that and spent the rest of the journey talking to
my dog in French.  /lol/

Tami Smith-Kinney