[nagdu] just a couple of additional comments about the 9-year-old boy and his guide dog

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Feb 5 19:55:06 UTC 2010

After seeing some of the comments, I just wanted to add a couple of things
about this situation that might be interesting and might clarify.

When I spoke with Tim about this experience, I could sense that it was a
very important part of his growing up years and is a very vond memory. It's
kind of like he speaks of it with great pride and fondness. It meant a lot
to him that I asked about it and wanted to share it with the list.

I think for much of this country, the philosophy about kids traveling
independently, whether with a cane or a dog was very different 50 years ago.
I hessitated to add one of Tim's comments, but decided to share it because
it just shows how different philosophy was at that time, not to start any
arguments or offend anyone. When Tim's Mom was looking into getting Tim the
dog, she called The Seeing Eye for their suggestions or feedback and they
told her she should basically be put away for even allowing her child to
travel independently. I just share this to say that we have come a long way
today, I don't share it as an example of Seeing Eye's current philosophy.

Tim is a unique person with a unique experience that I feels hould be a part
of the history of traveling with guide dogs. It's not really about whether
kids should have dogs as I also agree it's probably not something for most
kids but it was very visionary of this Dr. Ford to have thought about it and
given it a try and much more so back in the 50's. It's a good thing that we
always have people who are thinking outside the box and trying new things
and going in new directions. somethings they're successful, somethings it's
just a learning experience and even then sometimes someone still benefits
from it.

ALoha,
Charlene