[nagdu] FW: Re: visit to a prison

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Feb 7 14:55:16 UTC 2010

Yes, it is a clever name.

Two weeks ago I had prison inmates come to talk to the class I teach about
their experiences in prison and how they got there.  They come in their
regular prison uniforms, in handcuffs and with a guard.  They are not
violent offenders, meaning murder, assault with a deadly weapon and that
sort of thing.  Many of them do have histories of lesser crimes against
people.  Anyway I didn't take Monty with me to class that night.  I didn't
tell the guard ahead of time that I would have a dog with me.  I really
didn't want to deal with any drama related to having a dog there with the
inmates.  I think next time though, I will mention to the guard ahead of
time when I invite her to bring the inmates that I will have my guide dog
there.  then she can do whatever she needs to so the event runs smoothly.

Tomorrow night the younger girls are coming from the Juvenile detention
center to talk about their criminal histories.  I do plan to take Monty with
me tomorrow.  The younger girls don't wear handcuffs, but are accompanied by
a guard.  We'll see how it goes.

Of course the class I teach is not at the prison.  I do work in the
courthouse though.  I don't work in the jail wing, but I do work in the
probation/attorney/court section.  I've never had an issue with Monty there,
although I have never had a reason to go into the jail section either.  I
don't know if I'd take Monty or not.

Julie

Julie