[nagdu] just a couple of additional comments about the9-year-oldboy and his guide dog

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 9 16:28:20 UTC 2010

Rebecca,
    In the 1950s, there was very little in the way of rehabilitation for the
blind. Blind people were not expected to be able to travel very
independently nor was it believed they could do much in the way of gainful
employment other than work in a sheltered workshop.
    Though he did not work in the workshop, he did sell the resulting
products - brooms, mops, etc., stamped with the label "Blind Made Products.
I also know that he had an entrepreneurial spirit and also purchased other
cleaning supplies, such as buckets, squeegees, detergents, and floor wax to
add to his line of products and income stream. My cousin (his son-in-law)
who acted as his chauffeur, told me he would often complain about the low
margin for selling the brooms and mops, so I guess he was treated much the
same way as those who actually worked in the workshop making the items.
Again, it was not expected of a blind person to do anything more than
workshop labor and selling workshop products. Eventually, my uncle ditched
the workshop products and bought them on the wholesale market at a better
price!
    He was very active in his church, trimmed his own trees, cared for a
beautiful flower garden, raised a family, and was always having parties at
his house. Unfortunately, there was very little training in independent
mobility, so he never used a white cane. He did have a Leader Dog, though,
but was pretty much unable to travel independently without it. For this
reason, when his first dog passed away, he relied upon others in the family
to guide him.
My uncle was a caretaker at a city park when he lost his eyesight and had to
hide it from his supervisors. He took his vacation to get his guide dog.
When he returned to work with his dog, he was dismissed and there was
absolutely nothing he could do about it. There were no state or federal laws
prohibiting such discrimination and very little in the way of compensation
for those who were blind or otherwise disabled.
    I guess that, even by today's standards, my uncle was a pretty
independent person, despite the lack of available rehab services,
opportunities, and legal protections.
    If given the same circumstances today, I believe my uncle would have
received a great deal more rehabilitation, including O&M and vocational
training. then again, perhaps his vocational training would have simply
helped him continue as a caretaker and he may not have been the successful
entrepreneur he was.
    I know that my family didn't expect much from him. They never really
talked much about his business accomplishments. I always remember how they
would comment on how "amazing" he was because he did the simplest things.
This attitude and misconception was part of what kept me from admitting I
was blind and getting the rehab I needed. I was an ordinary kid! If I needed
to be "amazing" or "extraordinary" to be successful, I wouldn't be able to
cut it!
    So, as I write this, I realize that, even by today's standards, my uncle
was very independent. By the standards of the 1950s & 60s, I guess he was
pretty "amazing"! He didn't let his blindness limit him nor did he let the
lack of quality services and low expectations keep him from achieving his
dreams!His name was Alexander White, but everyone called him "Dud"! Uncle
Dud taught me much more than I ever realized, not only about blindness but
about life!

Fraternally yours,
Marion