[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 23:05:57 UTC 2010

I think a dog would be useful in situations ware I have to negotiate a
crowd, or times when I am out in the city. If I am with friends, they
usually seem to wander aimlessly. By this I mean, they switch sides of the
street, seemingly at random, dart into stores, and whatnot. The only way I
can keep up with them is by taking a guide. I feel as if a dog, would allow
me to keep up with friends, be useful in crowds and do things such as
helping find open seats, doors, and things like that. Also I feel as if a
dog is useful socially, people don't seem to be as intimidated by a handler
and his dog as they do by a cane. I don't know how a cane is intimidating,
it might be the fear of the unknown, but there is a noticeable reaction in
people when they see my cane even when it is folded up and under my seat or
otherwise out of the way.