[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 19:39:44 UTC 2010

Mark,

I know I wasn't clear in my explanation of using the GPS and the dog before
so let me try again. If you are training with a dog and want to use the GPS
which you already know how to use, the Seeing Eye will let you use the GPS
later in the training session. Other schools actually train you in the use
of the GPS  while training with your dog, probably later in the training.
Leader Dog trains with the Trekker Breeze and actually sends you home with
one after training. I also know that Leader Dog gives training to cane and
dog users on the use of GPS. I trained there with a Trekker and my Seeing
Eye dog. The training was helpful for me because of my current issues
relating to short-term memory issues and not feeling comfortable
multi-tasking while learning a new skill. I found that the training was very
good. There was not interference with me and my dog or any questions or
problems regarding my use of the dog.

It's hard to explain if you haven't experienced it, but training with a new
dog is pretty intense. You really need to focus on each other, learning to
communicate and trust one another. Using a GPS with a dog is a bit of a
skill in that you need to know when to check for instructions and how to use
the GPS tool. Whatever you do, the GPS is a source of information which
cannot interfere with your use of a dog or a cane and which can be very
useful. The thing I appreciated about the training was that we did a lot of
good old fashion travel skill use. For example, we went in to what is called
"free mode" where you don't have any land marks and we learned how to use
Point Of Interest to help us find things once we had visited the location.
Even using GPS to find something in "free mode" means that you still have to
follow and trust your dog. The GPS system might tell you that the Point of
Interest or land mark is in front of you at 11:00 but it won't tell you that
there's a pond between you and your target. If you are so focused on the GPS
that you don't follow your dog, you'll get very wet, and maybe more. I
wouldn't choose a school based on it's providing GPS training, but I would
consider whether or not they provide follow-up or one-on-one with GPS use
once you've obtained the training with your dog.