[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 21:04:45 UTC 2010

    I think it is a bad practice to use the "
follow" command too often. Like Julie, I have seen too many dogs that are
too ready to follow and forget to guide. This is sort of like using the
white cane even when employing a sighted guide. Too much following puts the
dog in too much control and many times the blind person is just along for
the ride! There needs to be a balance of control and trust, but the control
must always be with the handler. So, even when using the "Follow" command,
we need to also use directional commands, as well. Such as "Follow; right",
"Follow; Left." etc. This makes even the follow command your authority to do
so.

Fraternally yours,
Marion