[nagdu] The Seeing Eye celebrates 15,000th guide dog pairing

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 14 01:09:47 UTC 2010

The Seeing Eye in Morris County celebrates 15,000th guide dog
pairing
http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/print.html?entry=/2010/02
/the_seeing_eye_in_morris_count.html
By Jim Lockwood/The Star-Ledger
February 13, 2010, 7:30AM

Photo courtesy of The Seeing EyeJosephine DeFini, second from
leftm with her first dog Halla in 1957 from The Seeing Eye in
Morris County.
MORRIS TOWNSHIP -- Josephine DeFini, who is blind, has had nine
guide dogs since graduating high school in 1957.

All of them have been provided by The Seeing Eye in Morris
County, and each one has immeasurably improved the life of the
70-year-old New York City resident, she said.

"The ease, freedom, and sense of security and confidence a
seeing-eye dog affords you makes life so much easier," DeFini
said Friday during a celebration marking a milestone of the
nonprofit organization.

DeFini's latest guide dog, a Labrador Retriever named Zion, was
the Seeing Eye's 15,000th pooch to have been partnered with a
blind person during the past eight decades.

"How big is 15,000?" Seeing Eye President/CEO Jim Kutsch
rhetorically asked a crowd of 200 people. "That's 15,000 dog
noses and tails, 30,000 ears, 60,000 paws and over a
quarter-of-a-million toenails - and we can go on and on. Imagine
the number of teeth in 15,000 dogs."

"It puts it in perspective how many lives have been changed by
the work we do," continued Kutsch, who also is blind. "You begin
to understand the magnitude of what happens here at Seeing Eye."

Based in Morris Township, The Seeing Eye was founded 81 years ago
(that's about 567 in dog years), and has since served more than
8,000 people. It is the world's oldest guide dog school for the
blind and visually impaired in the United States and Canada, and
is considered the leading such school in the world. There are
about a dozen in the nation, and 72 worldwide accredited by the
International Dog Guide Federation.

Nearly 300 students annually attend The Seeing Eye to learn how
to instruct and bond with their guide dogs. Students frequently
are seen walking with their dogs and instructors in nearby
Morristown, where statues of the organization's co-founder,
Morris Frank, and his guide dog, Buddy are just off the downtown
green.

Frank started The Seeing Eye in 1929 in Nashville, Tenn., after
being inspired by a 1927 article in The Saturday Evening Post
about guide dogs assisting blind World War I veterans written by
well-known dog breeder and philanthropist Dorothy Harrison
Eustis.

Frank moved in 1931 to Morris County, where The Seeing Eye took
up residency in Whippany until 1965 before moving to Morris
Township.

It also operates a breeding kennel in Chester Township, where
about 500 puppies of four breeds - German Shepherd, Labrador and
Golden Retrievers and Lab-Golden mixes, are born each year.

While it costs tens of thousands of dollars to match just one
person with a dog, the school's annual $27 million budget is
funded entirely with donations, spokeswoman Jean Thomas said.
Students are charged $150 for their first dog, and $50 for any
later canines.

The school accommodates up to 24 students per class and holds 12
classes per year.

The 190 employees and 17 current students also used Friday's
occasion to celebrate the 81st anniversary, on Jan. 29.

A lifelong New York City resident, DeFini is a social worker and
therapist who retired last year but continues a small private
practice. For the past 52 years, she has been able to navigate
Manhattan's hustle-and-bustle thanks to her guide dogs.

'Man's Best Friend' has truly lived up to the billing, she said.

"These dogs will do their damndest," DeFini said. "I hope Zion
and I have many years together. However, I know when the time
comes (for a 10th dog) . I'll be back."