[nagdu] researching programs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 17:15:00 UTC 2010

Yay, Laveau for supporting the Saints! /grin/

This is a sort of random thought on the subject of dog breeds and which work
best.

I get the impression that there is a certain assumption that the dogs with
mellower temperaments and less busy-ness -- a la the "typical" lab -- will
do better in crowds and noise and the like because they are not so reactive
to their environment.  I think (although it's too early for me to make such
a wild claim) that I've even heard that said, if not in so many words.

Or maybe I just assumed that myself without thinking about it.  But I think
I heard the opposite, because I remember thinking that I would prefer a
problem solving type of guide in crowds and stuff over a dog that waits for
me to tell it what to do when I don't have a clue what's even going on..
/grin/

But more and more over the past year as my high-energy, high-alert,
high-activity dog really comes into her own that when we're in situations --
like downtown where they're doing massive construction and rearrangement and
appear to have firm plans to continue into eternity -- where I'm completely
overwhelmed by the noise and confusion and being totally lost in a place I
knew well just last week, my guide really shines.  So much so that while I'm
just going around with my harness handle in one hand while I tear out great
clumps of hair from my head with the other, I will suddenly remember to
check to see how she's doing with her anxiety and stress and discover she
has none and is in super-duper professional  mode and appears to be enjoying
just doing her job.  Huh.  This is a dog that levitates if someone at the
other end of the house sighs because it sets off her alert system.

She then lets out a low woof to inform Daisy it's time for her to leap out
of deep sleep and run hectically about invesigating and barking loudly just
in case it was something, which Daisy is happy to do.  Having done her part
of keeping the homestead safe, Mitzi sighs deeply and goes back to sleep.
/smile/

That high-alert sensitivity she has going on is very like the dobie, even
more than the shepherd (or so it seems to me).  Yet she is virtually
bomb-proof in milieux that should have those nerves of hers unraveling
totally.  Sounds like Ms. Dobie Laveaux is very much that way.

With Mitzi, it's when she's bored and on safe, familiar ground that I'm
still frequently reminded I need to pay attention to whatever she might be
up to.  /smile/  She guides me around quite handily and safely, but her
dedication to focus and professionalism is nowhere to be found!  /grin/

Somewhere in the past couple of months while I didn't noticed, she picked up
the habit of waiting for me tell her what I wanted her to do and where I
wanted her go instead of simply deciding on her own and sticking to her
decision.  /lol/  She's a surprisingly good little decision-maker, so I
haven't been sweating the issue, just making sure I paid enough attention
that she didn't lead me off somewhere I didn't want to go because I wasn't
on the ball.

Now I've found myself a few times just standing still waiting for something
to happen to the harness handle to tell me what to do and where to go.
Because I'm not on the ball.  /lol/  When the light is right and I look down
to see what's going on with her, I find that she is staring into my face
with that hopeful, expectant, encouraging expression that says, "C'mon!  You
can do it!  I know you can!"  /lol/  She rewards me with her happy dance as
well as instant action the instant I show I'm trained by giving the correct
command.

What really makes me wonder about myself is that this correct -- because it
is the most efficient and workable -- approach to guide work on her part has
been one of my end goals since the beginning.  As with so many things, she
got there way ahead of me, while I was still thinking I really should get to
training to her do things right.

Love that poodle!

Tami Smith-Kinney