[nagdu] researching programs

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 02:39:13 UTC 2010

Tami,

I've already been amazed at the problem solving ability and ease that
my German Shepherd handles crowds. Branted, we haven't been in any
really heavy crowds, like NFB national convention, yet but I am
looking forward to seeign how she handles those this summer. In the
meantime, if she's in her element or in the zone as some may say, she
does a great job at judging distances and being aware of people and
canes. Since I work at a rehabilitation center, this canes thing is an
issue much of the time. Last Friday, she did a great job of weaving
through lots of people all scattered down a hall that we had to go
through in order to get to my office. Everyone was pretty much
motionless, but a few people did move their canes I believe. Anyway,
my designer dog (called that since her actual name is Gucci), did
awesome. And we even got a complement from my boss when we entered the
office. Turned out he was walking behind us watching my dog. Gucci has
also done well during the crowds from the White Cane Day walks we do
each October in downtown Austin. She can deal with the people being up
close and tight, but she really looks hard to find a way around them,
and if hse sees an opening and sees that there's room, then I'd better
hold on. Sometimes I think she was a highway driver in a previous life
at her aggressive driving.

Wayne