[nagdu] PETA Presentation at Convention

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 18 15:38:18 UTC 2010

Hello Marion and listers,

    Last year NAGDU did something that got lots of attention among NFB
members around the country. One of the presenters at the annual NAGDU
Seminar was a Muslem Clarric to address issues concerning guide dog use and
the Islamic Faith. Given the problems guide dog users have encountered with
PETA members and their uninformed views of guide dogs and their use would it
not be appropriate to extend an invitation to them to speak during this
years NAGDU seminar to hopefully urge them to change these views and to work
with us to put an end to the harassment experienced by some guide dog users
when encountering PETA Members? This is a long-shot I know but like Muslems
shouldn't PETA be given a chance to come clean with us and hopefully be
better informed about the role of guide dogs in our lives? I recall that an
animal rights person was once at a NAGDU meeting long ago. She was deasent
to our members and I don't recall any attempts by her or the group she
represented to harass guide dog users atending that national convention.
Anyway this was a thought and an idea.

Peter Donahue