[nagdu] re sighted guides

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 18 16:31:37 UTC 2010

Gary,

That's something DD and I have been figuring out by trial and error for
quite awhile now.  /smile/  We don't do sighted guide often, but last time
we did it appeared we have the major kinks worked out.  /smile/  We give
each other guide dog commands anyway, then laugh at ourselves.

As for using sighted guide when I have the Mitzers along, I simply put her
on a tight heel and hold her leash up close to the base of the Halti so that
I can be very sure I know where she is -- especially the nose! -- and help
her avoid temptation.  The first couple of times, she was not happy with
this plan, but now she goes along with it tamely, while looking put upon
because I'm cramping her style.  /smile/  Also, she doesn't like having some
human -- not even her adored stepdad -- doing her job for her, thank you
very much!

The three of us make quite a processional, so the trick has been smoothing
out how everyone handles his or her assigned role and how we communicate up
and down the line.  Since we use this method mostly for tight spots and
crowds, it gets tricky, especially for the sighted guide who has to remember
to allow enough space for himself, me and the dog.  If he can't, he needs to
slip his arm behind his back in the hopes that I will remember to fall
behind him and have Mitzi fall behind me.  Mitzi has gotten very good at
that part of it, since she's the one most likely to get run into something
if we don't all do it right.  I am by nature no more a follower than she is,
so most of my concentration is spent on keeping myself from veering out of
line like a maverick calf.  /grin/

The last couple of times we have encountered a need to fall in line and go
SG, it all happened very smoothly as if we all knew what we were doing, so I
guess we're getting it right.  /smile/

The fact that you and your SO practice sighted guide regularly without the
addition of a dog should make it much easier for you to adapt to the added
link to the chain.  I can't speak to what the various schools teach about
how to do that, but I think I have heard that some of them do include that
in the training.

Good luck!

Tami Smith-Kinney