[nagdu] Get control of that dog

Michelle m-johnson at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 19 10:34:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

Could you let me know what you do when you're in a situation where other people are instructing your guide dog when they clearly haven't warned you and have not asked your permission? An example for me is when I'm getting a lift somewhere and the person helping me out starts telling the dog what to do, telling me how to instruct the dog, what to do with the dog etc. I know that they are well-meaning and helpful, but then when it extends to the person picking up the harness and giving it to me, completely controlling my life and my situation for me without me being allowed to think and act for myself, it really gets under my bonnet. After informing the person that I'll handle the dog when I'm getting out of the car, this person will have the hide to tell the dog to sit and stay! I hate being rude, so what do I do?

I don't mind what advice you give me, please tell me to be rude if I have to be. I'm sick of being treated as an invalid to suit others, because it really confuses my dog to no end, poor fellow.

Thank you very much and cheers!

Michelle and Troy