[nagdu] nagdu

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 17:04:18 UTC 2010

Welcome, Jennifer!  And congratulations for your planned new dog.  That's
exciting!

My name is Tami, and I live in Portland, Oregon, with my first guide dog who
is now just past 3-1/2.  her name is Mitzi, and she is a poodle whom I
owner-trained, meaning I did the training myself.  While this is not
something I would recommend to anyone without a great deal of prior training
experience, I have enjoyed the process greatly and have learned loads from
everybody else on the list.  There a few other owner-trainers on the list,
as well.

By the time I needed a guide dog, parents were not an issue, which is a good
thing since they're still convinced I don't have RP and am not going blind.
This affects their attitude and actions towards "that dog," so I just keep
any obligatory visits short and make sure I can maintain some control over
their ability to go too far over the line with her.  Sigh.  Famlies are like
that sometimes, I guess.

Anyway, welcome!  As others have mentioned, we have had another new member
asking the same sorts of questions, so you can get a whole lot of
information and discussion from the recent archives.  /smile/

Which doesn't mean you need to stop asking questions in new posts! We here
do seem to like to talk about our dogs.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney