[nagdu] guide dogs

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Sat Feb 20 23:07:31 UTC 2010

Hi Jennifer,

You are very welcome. You will find, as I and most of the rest of us on this
list, have, that you will find solutions to problems as they arise. Your
solution will fit your situation and your particular problem.

One of the listers mentioned placing a chain on her laundry room door so
that the cat could get in and the dog could not. It reminded me that we had
used that solution for a while but stopped because the bolt that held the
chain to the room got pulled out. No doubt by the people trying to get into
the laundry room. Also, we bought another house and built onto the back of
it adding a laundry room, so we fixed it so that it worked for us. If you
rent and you are fortunate enough to have a laundry room, your land lord may
agree to let you put a cat door in the laundry room door with the
understanding that you replace it if and when you move. A door is only
approximately one hundred dollars which is worth it if it blocks your dog
from getting into the cat box or food. The reason that you don't want your
dog to gain access is that it is harmful to the dog to eat the cat waste.
This waste is high in protein and apparently has stuff that doesn't process
well in your dogs digestive system and kidneys. Also, the cat food has a
higher level of protein and is harmful for the dog to ingest too much of,
simply because the dog's nutritional needs are different. That is aside from
the issue of not wanting your dog to get into the habit of scavaging. If a
dog gets into this happen you have the danger of them picking up something
that is harmful and you have the distraction issue. If a dog is distracted
he/she isn't watching where you are going and that is unsafe. It's also
extremely irritating if you are trying to walk down the street and you are
continually having to correct your dog to get him/her to stay on focus.
I've known people who didn't have a separate laundry room but used the cat
box with the lid and placed it in such a way that the dog couldn't gain
access. None of my labradors were fooled by any thing I was able to come up
with except placing the litter box in a separate room.

If you get a dog you will find that "prevention is worth a pound of cure",
as Benjamin Franklin said. If you make it impossible for your dog to get
into the trash can, on the counters or in to the cat box you won't have the
problems of an upset stomach or any illness. Also it will be less likely
that you will have a problem with your dog scavaging.

The fact that you are asking all of these questions tells me that you are
someone who will plan ahead and make sure that you are ready to take on the
responsibility of such a partnership. Having worked with four dogs over the
past nearly thirty-four years, I can tell you that a partnership which is
founded on commitment to making it work is one that will last. If you do
your home work and find out what the needs and issues are in advance, and if
you use your dog in the manner you are trained, you should find such a
partnership one of the most rewarding ones that you will ever enter into in
your life. It's almost as wonderful as the marriage that I have enjoyed with
a great guy for more than twenty-four years.