[nagdu] Where your dog sleeps at night, etc.

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Mon Feb 22 14:50:37 UTC 2010

Jennifer,

My suggestion would be to wait until you have your dog and figure out what
works for the two of you in terms of toys, beds and the like. I've had dogs
who eventually had a bed which was like a big pillow and the dog really
liked it, especially as he got older and had some arthritis and I've had
others who would prefer to sleep on the cool hard wood floor. My latest dog
had a bed which had a foam pad inside which I purchased for her, but I
wouldn't use that one again because it was a pain to wash. The only positive
thing was that the bottom of it was a vinal coated material and helped when
she had some incontinence problems. I have never used a kennel, but I had
often used rugs. It's varied between washable rubber backed ones that stayed
in place better to area carpets which are easy for me to clean with my rug
shampooer. My point is, you' find what works for you and your new partner.
You may find that you have to try a couple of things, or that one thing
works well during one period of time and something else at another. For
example, I got the bed which was like a big pillow for Xilo and it worked
well because I placed it on a landing of the stairs where he liked to lie
and watch the activities. He had a great vantage point for a good part of
three floors from that area. All of my dogs have slept beside my bed. I
always keep them on leash or tie down for a few weeks when I get home to
help ensure that the dog has settled into the house properly. Then, like my
cats they have the run of the house. However, I have used tie down to
reinforce certain behaviors or to keep my dog away from certain areas while
I'm working on something. I have found that it is an effective tool to
remind my dogs that they are not in my house to greet the guests. This
prevents them from jumping up on people or barking or otherwise acting
inappropriately and discourages folks from thinking it is acceptable to pet
and play with my dogs whenever they want. When the dog is allowed to come up
to the guests in my house they know that they are allowed to tell them down
if they jump or immediately tell me so that I can correct that behavior. One
tip that has stuck with me over the years is that you should encourage the
same behavior from your dog as though the person and places you are
interacting with are dressed in a formal gown or decorated for an official
event, as you do for those situations where you are dressed in shorts and a
T-shirt. It's less confusing for the dog and much easier to manage. I found
that, with my children I expected the same behavior from them at home as I
did in public.  They weren't allowed to jump on the couch or sit or stand on
the coffee table or walk around with food or throw it. I've seen people who
let their kids use their couches as play ground equipment, and that is what
it turns out to look like. If you don't mind your investments of furniture
looking like that, it's one thing, but I don't and I don't appreciate having
guests treat my furniture like that. So, my dogs are part of the family and
I want them to be welcome anywhere that I am welcome. Generally, by the way,
if they aren't welcome in a place, I won't go either. There are exceptions
to every rule. AS you have heard over and over on this list, there is no one
way to do anything. In fact, your way will change depending on your dog and
the situation. I find returning to the rules and guidance set forth in
training to be a good guideline for the treatment and discipline of my dogs,
but I also feel free to use my judgment. By the way, if you ever have a
question once you have the dog, you should not hesitate to call and ask a
trainer. When I have run into a situation in which my dog has behaved in a
manner that I didn't understand I have called and given the trainer as
complete a description of the situation as possible and asked for feedback.
Remember, you are the one who lives with and depends on your partner and
he/she on you, so get the information you need, as you are doing, and then
make a decision that works for you. As long as I'm filled with advice this
morning, I'll mention two other important things. First, it's ok to make a
mistake. If you make a decision and it turns out to be a bad one, learn from
it and correct your mistake and don't beat yourself up about it. We all do.
Secondly, don't think that because you always do something one way and it
always works, that it must always work. Nothing happens that way. It's fine
if things change. It might make us uncomfortable for a little bit, but it
gives us an opportunity to grow.

Hugs and best wishes as you ponder all the parts of life with a dog. You
won't really know how wonderful it is until you have worked with one for
about six months to a year.

Joy