[nagdu] guide dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 19:10:43 UTC 2010

Julie,

I used the tags and a small cat bell on Mitzi's collar for a long time to
keep track of her.  So she learned to get into trouble without jingling.
/grin/

It was only a few months after we moved in with Daisy and her dad that I
started leaving Mitzi's collar off around the house, mostly because I felt I
was better able to be aware of her and because she was not quite so random.
I can also use Daisy's movements to get a clue where Mitzi is.  With her
missing front leg, Daisy is pretty loud when she walks around.  Somehow,
though, since I have moved in, she has learned to be silent when she wants
to get into trouble.

As my vision has deteriorated, she has also learned to get out of the way
when she's lying down where I'm walking.  This goes against her firm
religious principles, so she makes very sure I know she is put out by it
all.  /smile/  She has also learned to give me a warning sound if I start to
sit down her so that I can pet the couch pillows.  /grin/  If I walk past
the living room while Daisy's Dad is snoozing, he says, "Don't sit on my
dog," without even waking up.  /lol/

My jet black dog learned to fend for herself long ago, poor thing.

Tami Smith-Kinney