[nagdu] guide dogs

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC Inc) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Feb 23 16:24:01 UTC 2010

I'm not sure we know enough about Jennifer's family to make this
statement.
Jennifer, my suggestion with getting people to comply with what you want
is to state what you want clearly and simply, and tell them what action
they need to take.
So, in the case of your dad, when he takes your arm, say "I need to take
your arm, I need you to do..." and then fill in what you need him to do.
Demonstrate as needed and use your cane (assuming you have one and are
able to) in your other hand.
Also, the teacher you mention might be a good resource. You can also ask
her why she let her dog be untethered at night. She may have some good
insights for you, and be able to tell you behaviors to be aware of so
that you can know if this arangement would work well with your dog. As
Julie said, what works well for one person and dog, may not work well
for the same person andd different dog.