[nagdu] Where your dog sleeps at night, etc.

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 19:02:58 UTC 2010

Jennifer, the trainer has a point. When you leave the Seeing Eye you need to
be able to focus on your dog and working him/her as you have been
instructed. I've found it best to have little or no distractions in that
process when I first come home from the school with my dog. It's your first
time all on your own and your will be capable of doing it or they wouldn't
release you with the dog. You need the first experience to help seal that
partnership. It's a long process, or at least it seems so when you are
matched with a dog and many well being people can cause things to get off on
a bad foot without intending to do so. I'd find a way to gently, but
lovingly explain that it is important for you to take this step on your own.
It's funny, but my parents lived too far from New Jersey to even offer to
come and get me when I got my first dog, but when I flew to Europe a couple
of years later to participate in a study abroad program my father was really
nervous and asked me at the gate if I was sure that I wanted to go, because
it wasn't too late to turn around. I felt he was crazy to even suggest such
a thing, but I didn't say that I just hugged him and said that his little
girl was going to be just fine and that I loved him. I was, and I did, and
you will too. As the folk song says "teach your parents well, their
children's hell will slowly go by". It's a learning process and it isn't any
easier for a parent to let go who has been through the whole independent
blindness issue than it was for my parents. You love your child and you
would do anything to keep them from stubbing their toe, but you know that
they have to stub their toe to learn to pick up their feet. Try not to
stress, and please, express any concerns to us on the list and to your
instructors. They've been their before and have insight that is worth
listening too.
Joy, who is getting excited to go for her next dog