[nagdu] guide dogs

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Sat Feb 27 14:36:32 UTC 2010

HI Jenn,

Happy birthday. My husband and I love to go out to do Karaoke as well.

May I recommend that you find peace within yourself in terms of your life
goals and talents and try not to get hung up on what your parents say. You
aren't responsible for their opinions or actions and you can only be held
accountable for yours. In the long run, it's your opinions, goals, dreams
and estimations of your skills and abilities which will carry you forward. I
haven't lived at home for more than thirty-five years and I find my mother's
comments annoying and they still get a rise out of me. I have to make myself
step back and say "it's her opinion and she's entitled to it but it doesn't
make it true and I don't have to listen to it". Then, when my mother gets a
little too verbal or insistent about making sure that I've heard her opinion
I simply and hopefully gently tell her that I'm not really interested in
hearing her opinion on that issue anymore because I've already decided what
I'm going to do, and though it would be nice if she supported me, it isn't a
determining factor in my decision. She's learned that the discussion is over
at that point. Fortunately, we don't live anywhere near each other, so if
she persists I simply tell her that I'm going to hang up and talk to her
later when she's willing to drop that topic. It often works. Remember, you
aren't responsible for the opinions of others, but you are responsible for
your reaction to them, so focus on the part that you can change and come to
peace with that which you cannot change.

Hugs.

Joy