[nagdu] Questions and Comments from J. Q. Public

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 2 09:09:59 UTC 2010

Hi, Albert,

Many people seem to be confused by the term "pony."  A pony is any
small--not young--horse, that is, any full-grown horse whose height at the
top of the withers (shoulder) is less than 59 inches (or just under 5 feet.)
A miniature horse is any full-grown horse which is less than 34 inches tall
at the withers, or less than 36 inches tall at the withers, depending on
which miniature horse registry we are talking about.  So all miniature
horses are, by definition, ponies.  The breed name is, however, "miniature
horse," perhaps because the miniature horse is supposed to look more like a
full-sized horse than a pony in body type.

Of course, by this definition, my Icelandic horses, and all other Icelandic
horses as far as I know, are also ponies, because they are under 59 inches
tall at the withers.  However, in the case of Icelandic horses, they are the
only breed of horse on the island country of Iceland, so no distinction
between sizes or breeds of horse were needed there.  They were completely
isolated from any other horses for over 1000 years.  And they served all the
purposes of the many breeds of horses in other lands--riding, farm work,
racing, family and children's companions, and even as food, although we
don't like to think about that one!  Although they are "pony" sized, the
Icelandic horse is ridden by adults, including tall Icelandic men.  They
have big gaits, not little "pony" gaits, and are very sporty.

Many people think that the word "pony" is the equine equivalent of the word
"puppy," that is, that it indicates a young animal of the species.  However,
this is not the case.  A young horse is called a foal (a newborn of either
gender), a colt (a young male) or a filly (a young female.)

People do seem to understand that not all small dogs are "puppies", although
children do seem to think that dogs of small breeds will some day grow into
big dogs.  Certainly, even adults do often use the term "puppy" to refer to
adult dogs, although they usually understand that there is a distinction in
meaning between "dog" and "puppy."  Since most people are less familiar with
horses and horse terminology than they are with dogs and dog terminology,
the confusion about the term "pony" is not surprising.

When people see Panda--a tiny, fuzzy, cute equine, they naturally assume
that she is a baby, and they use the term "pony" to refer to her (that is,
if they can correctly identify her as an equine at all) because they think
that "pony" is the term for a baby horse.

So Panda is technically a "pony", although her breed is "miniature horse".
But she is at this point no longer a baby as she will be 9 years old on
January 11th, and she is certainly full-grown.

Needless to say, I don't usually have the time to explain all of this to
passers by on the streets when they ask how big Panda will grow up to be.
So I just tell them that she is full grown and let it go at that.  Sometimes
they ask me if she is a Shetland pony, and then I tell them that she is a
miniature horse.  Then they sometimes ask me what breed of miniature horse
she is, and I tell them that "miniature horse" is the name of the breed.

Anyway, the questions don't bother me.  I just give a short answer if I
don't have time for a long conversation and go on my way.  I usually don't
let people pet Panda when we're walking, both because it interrupts our
progress and because Panda considers it an invasion of her personal space.
She does not seek attention or physical contact from strangers, and does not
appreciate them taking liberties with her.

Sometimes, for the sake of the education of small children, and for the sake
of providing blind people with the experience of feeling what a miniature
horse is and what her guide harness feels like, I will allow people to pet
or touch Panda.  But when working, Panda sees people as moving obstacles to
be avoided and worked around, rather than as objects of social interaction.
I guess she is like the type of dog I like best, the one which loves and
seeks closeness with its human family, but is indifferent to other humans
and does not seek their affection or attention.

One of the advantages of miniature horses as guides, at least for me, is
that horses are not as distracted by humans in the environment as are most
dogs.  Unfortunately, J Q Public often assumes that anything as cute and
fuzzy and cuddly-looking as Panda must have been put there especially for
their fondling pleasure.  So, to a certain extent,  I have to protect Panda
from their unwanted and presumptuous advances.  But this is no different
than when I worked with guide dogs and had to run interference between my
dog and people who insisted on trying to pet or feed my dog while it was
working.  So, it's all in a day's work.

Best,
Ann