[nagdu] owner training was a bunch of other stuff

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Jan 2 18:07:36 UTC 2010

Owner training has been around for a long, long while.  I had an O&M
professional tell me of ancient text or drawings that tell of blind people
using small dogs to guide them by means of a stiff pole attached to their
collar.  No clue where he got that info though.

At any rate owner training precedes program trained guides by
hundreds/thousands? of years.  However just like current days, instances of
blind people training their own guide dogs were rare.

I think there are two main reasons for the rarity of owner training.  First
it is a load of work.  I don't just mean time consuming or labor intensive,
I mean like every. single. day. hours. per. day. WORK.   It took me a year
to train Belle and about 15 months with Monty.  They were both around 9
months old when I got them.   Other owner trainers training times may vary,
the shortest I have heard of is 4 months.

You have to have a clue about dog training, be willing to learn and it's a
steep learning curve or you have to have knowledgeable trainers willing to
help you.   the simple truth is that most people do not have the knowledge
or inclination to gain it that is needed.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's a
choice.

Choosing the dog is the most difficult part.  You need a dog of a specific
size range, temperament and health.  Depending on your particular
circumstances there will most likely be additional requirements that you
want or need in the dog.   I wanted a larger dog, but Monty  still exceeded
my expectations!  I wanted a male.  I wanted a low shedding/short hair breed
because of my husband's sensitivities.  I am fond of floppy ears.  I prefer
a energetic, outgoing exuberant dog.  Intelligence is also a must for me.  I
like a bold confident dog.  I like a dog that is mainly bonded to me, but
also enjoys my family.

All of my guides have come from rescue organizations, although I looked at
many options.  The rescue organizations just happened to have what I was
looking for. The cost has been minimal, around $100 to $150.  My phone bill
however, was probably twice that when calling prospects to talk to them
about their dogs.  My time was the biggest investment.  I cannot begin to
count the hours spent in researching breeds, breeders, rescues, breed rescue
programs, talking to people about particular dogs and actually going to look
at dogs.  Oh and also fuel to get to those places and the time and kindness
of my husband who drove me. Remember I live in a small town.  there isn't a
lot to choose from in the immediate vicinity.  Monty came from about an hour
and a half away from where I live.

then there is the cost of equipment.  A harness and handle will cost between
$80 and $350, depending on the material and options you choose.  Then there
are collars, leashes, coats, dishes, toys, food, preventative medications,
as needed medications, veterinary care, screening tests, and training
equipment.

There are a lot of incidental costs when training.  Practicing laying
quietly under the table while at an outdoor cafe requires that I purchase
food for myself.  Practicing riding in a car, bus, or other transportation
requires that I buy a ticket or pay a fare.  At the very least it will cost
me doing something nice for my husband if he is the driver that day.   the
primary cost is time though.  When you are training a guide dog you have to
center the excursions around the training of the dog, not what you need to
get done that day.  For example if I need to get groceries, I have two
choices I can plan an appropriate training exercise to the grocery store
that includes me picking up the 5 most important items or I can leave the
dog at home and get all my groceries.

I mainly choose to owner train because I love to do it.  It would be an
absolutely disastrous failure if you didn't love the process.   If you just
want a guide dog, go through a program.   If you love the idea of training
then continue to explore owner training.

I think the second reason that more people don't owner train their guides is
social pressure.  blind people are constantly told what we can and can't do.
Often this comes from other blind people in addition to the sighted public
and of course the professionals.  After a while it becomes difficult to
separate out what is really not doable and what is just perceived to not be
doable.

I have been told that I shouldn't train my own guide dog because it is
dangerous.   I have been told that it is illegal, which it is not.  I have
been told that it is unnecessary-that there are others to do that for me.
I have had people be very angry with me.  I have had people in awe of me.  I
have been scorned and applauded and every manner of thing in between.

I don't owner train my guides for anyone but myself.  It doesn't bother me
that some blind people get angry with my choice.  It doesn't flatter me that
some sighted people think I am amazing.  I do what I do because it is
important to me.  I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself.

HTH
Julie