[nagdu] owner training was a bunch of other stuff

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Jan 3 16:48:54 UTC 2010

I have not had a dog from a program, so I can't make any comparisons there.
I do have an incredible sense of accomplishment though.  As far as
trust...well, we are a new team and still working on it.

I think there is a major difference with trust when you owner train vs.
going through a program.  Dogs from programs are fully trained when you
begin working with the dog.  the dog is, or should be, trustworthy from day
1.  You immediately begin building your partnership from there.

when you owner train, the dog hasn't a clue about anything on day 1.  You
could easily get seriously injured if you trusted to the dog to do any sort
of guiding.  Over the next weeks and months, as you train the various tasks,
the dog will gain proficiency at being trustworthy.  However during that
time the blind handler has been the one responsible for the safety of the
team.  Making the transition of responsibility of safety from the handler to
the dog is emotionally and mentally a tough step, at least for me.  Monty
doesn't seem to have had any problems with it though.

I am going to hypothesize that the transfer of responsibility might be
easier on the dog trained by a blind person than a guide trained by a
sighted person.  I think the gradual transfer of responsibility is easier on
the dog than the blindfold test at the end of all the guide training.
Anyhow when I train my guides I give over trust bit by bit.  Once he is
reliable at stopping at curbs, I expect him to be responsible for that.
However traffic avoidance will still remain my responsibility.

It may all sound wonderful when I write about it, but I assure you I
questioned my choices and my sanity every day for the 15 months it took to
train Monty.   Especially after Belle not working out long term.   I think
there are a lot more disadvantages to owner training than I have led you to
believe.

JMO
Julie