[nagdu] Ownership

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 4 03:20:00 UTC 2010

Marion,

Leader has a very similar policy in place.  Although this was new to me from
my previous guide matched 10 years ago, i believe the medical info is
voluntary. I always make sure that they receive a copy when my guide is
worked up especially for her annual, and anything else if something were to
ever arise, but again, I believe this to be voluntary.

Now, my friend who lives not too far from me who also has a Leader Dog, was
maybe pushed a little more...however, this is just my perception.  He has
had a little more of a difficult time with gaining control of the weight of
his dogs.  I do know that his last guide was issued at around 70, and topped
out around 115.  However, this is in part due to the environment as he is a
full time farmer.  You see, his dogs will get into the calf feed which is
very high in protein and calories.  It is basically a dried milk nutrient
for them.  And, for those of you using screen readers, I said calf spelled c
a l f, not cat spelled c a t!  Smile!

So with this said, I will definitely be interested in what you have to say
on this subject.  I do believe that there are those who do not take pride in
the fact that they have a highly trained animal in public, and there is
little to do to change that behavior.  It is like those who purchase cars
and just don't take care of them, and when it starts to fail, they just
simply get a new one.  Maybe this not a fair comparison, but thereis some
reasonable rationale behind such policy immplementation.

Steve