[nagdu] question about ownership and retirement

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Jan 5 15:45:46 UTC 2010

I forgot to say something I think is important to keep in mind.  Dave Loux
brought it up at a NYAGDU retirement seminar.  He pointed out that guide
dogs are used to being with people almost all the time.  Even if they
don't bark and cry when left alone, they much prefer to have human
company.  So a guide dog should be retired to a home where it will not be
left alone much of the day while the people go out to work.
I am lucky in that my husband and I both work from home part of the time.
Among other advantages, it lets one of us be home with Echo every day.
Otherwise, she would be alone for several hours every workday, and that
would make her very unhappy.  Just another thing to consider.
Tracy