[nagdu] owner training was a bunch of other stuff

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Jan 5 20:28:01 UTC 2010

Julie,
Your O&M professional was absolutely correct about the history of people
training their own guide dogs in past times.  The Seeing Eye has a pamphlet
on this very topic - I forget the name of it. I think it can be found on the
Seeing Eye website with their publications.  This history even mentions
guide dog use in ancient times as well - in Pompaii to be exact! they had a
picture of an engraving from back then.  Very interesting little booklet.

Thanks for your sharing about what it really entails to be an owner trainer.
It sure isn't for the non committed! (grin!)  I don't want to do this myself
but I have always supported the idea of people doing it.  Hey, as long as
you can produce a good and safe guide, why not? I have actually gotten into
yelling fights with other guide dog users here in San Diego over the issue.
They hated the idea and I was in total support of it because I had already
known an owner trainer back in the early 1970s in Boston.  that lady did a
great job in training her German shepherd!

You're right, we need to respect choice as long as the people involved are
responsible handlers who train good, safe guides for themselves - and you
owner trainers on this list are a testimony to this!  Great job!

Also, thanks for David Andrews e-mail for off list.

Lyn and Landon