[nagdu] Refresher training and retirement for our dogs

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Jan 12 01:48:20 UTC 2010

My first guide's health had deteriorated to the point that she moved very
slowly and had difficulty with stairs.  The decision was pretty
straightforward.  There was no doubt in my mind that she physically couldn't
handle the work.

Then there was Belle...what can I say?  Belle is crazy.  Her work became
inconsistent to the extreme.  Monday she'd freak because of a lawn mower.
Tuesday lawn mowers would be fine, but the garbage truck was dangerous.
Wednesday she'd veer into oncoming traffic.  Thursday she'd run my face into
a tree branch.  By Friday I was questioning my sanity.

Of course that is the extremely abridged version and not really how it
happened, but it gets the point across. She was stressed.  I was stressed.
The whole mess spiraled further and further downhill.  She didn't really
want to work, never really had been that enthusiastic of a guide dog.  Being
a guide dog was a job for her, not a career.  I think that was the crux of
the problems.  She burnt out.

And now there is Monty and I don't even want to think about retirement and
him.  Right now he's young, happy, healthy, enjoys working and is very
consistent.    I guess for me that's the measure: age, happy healthy and
consistent.

HTH
Julie