[nagdu] Why do dogs hate the mailman?

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 21:51:47 UTC 2010

At one time long ago, I heard according to one radio vet, the reason
why many dogs had adverse reactions to the mailman was the letters or
paper that they carried. This radio vet said that the dog saw the
paper letters and connected them with paper that was used to correct
the dog's behavior, such as when some people roll up newspapers and
bop the dog on the nose. Not sure how true this is, but it makes sense
with certain dogs. I do think that it depends on the dog's upbringing
and socialization. Amazing how many behavioral issues come back to
early socialization.

Wayne