[nagdu] Why do dogs hate the mailman?

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 14 01:46:52 UTC 2010

Lyn,

As I try to get into my dog's head, and believe me it is very difficult, I
think it may have something more to do with the fact they are infringing on
their territory, and actually making it sound like they are about to enter
their home/territory.  My retired guide is much better at it now that it is
winter, but when it is summer, I allow him out on the sunporch, and holy
crap!  He hears them step up on my deck, put something into the mailbox
which drops in, makes a noise which may mimic someone trying to turn the
door handle and this triggers the bark reaction.  However, if I am outside
and the carrier comes up to the home, he doesn't give a rat's behind.

However, there was one incident this past summer where there was a police
officer out in the back alley right behind my home.  I have a privacy fence,
and they were talking with the naughty neighbors.  Well, Ripley saw it,
growled, and I didn't know it was an officer, so I just told Ripley to
...get him!  Later, my neighbor told me it was a cop.  Hope he took the joke
okay! LOL!

Steve