[nagdu] Legislative Consideration

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Jan 17 20:09:07 UTC 2010

Steve,

I realize that putting the focus on behavior will  not directly prevent
people from committing fraud.    However I think it will reduce the amount
of fraud committed by passing a pet as a service animal.  I can tell you
first-hand that it is an incredible load of work to train a dog  to be a
service dog.  If people had to do that much work, let's face it they
wouldn't or at least not nearly as many  would.

Then I look at the flip side of that coin...if all the dogs I encountered in
public were well behaved and unobtrusive, I personally wouldn't mind what
the disability status of the owner was.  For me it's not so much the
presence of the dog that bothers me as it is the behavior of the dog.  Yes,
a part of me is still annoyed that the person is effectively lying by
passing their pet as a service dog, but if I have to pick among the
available bad choices, I'd like well behaved liars over ill behaved dogs of
any status.

JMHO
Julie