[nagdu] What Is NAGDU Doing Anyway?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 19:11:18 UTC 2010

Marion!

Wonderful!

Tami Smith-Kinney

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Marion & Martin
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 8:57 AM
To: NAGDU List; FLAGDU List; NYAGDU List; blindtlk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nagdu] What Is NAGDU Doing Anyway?

Please feel free to disseminate this message as widely as appropriate!

    I recently received a message asking what the National Federation of the
Blind and the National Association of Guide Dog Users was doing to educate
the public on issues of guide dog use and access. I felt the question was a
valid one that deserved a reply. Furthermore, I felt this message needed to
be addressed to a wider audience than the writer and the email list to which
it was sent. Therefore, I have taken the time to write a response and send
it on to the various lists to which I am subscribed. I hope this message
helps to answer the question, as well as motivates others to get involved in
our important work. After all, if we are to make a real difference in the
lives of the blind and of guide dog users, it will take our concerted,
collective action to make it happen. Here is what I wrote:

January 18, 2010

        You ask some very good questions, so I hope I can give you an
equally good reply! The National Federation of the Blind has been educating
the masses since 1940, while the National Association of Guide Dog Users
(NAGDU) has been at it since 1985,  and will
continue its efforts. We put the word out in several forums, such as the
Braille Monitor, harness Up (our NAGDU newsletter, topical brochures, such
as "Meeting a Working Guide Dog Team (Item # LBG12P, available through the
Independence Market)", news releases and the resulting
articles, hosting and participating in public events, networking with major
companies, encouraging education when incidents of discrimination occur, and
one-on-one discussions. We maintain several websites on blindness-related
issues, including our own site

HTTP://NFB-NAGDU.ORG

This website provides access to a summary of
all of the United States laws concerning access to service animals,
including those of each of the  states, as well as some from other
countries. This website also has a recording of a teleseminar entitled
"Guide Dogs in Hospitals and Other Health Care Facilities" which  was
conducted on November 22. The website is a dynamic site with new information
being added on a regular basis. This is just a few of the things we have
done in the past to help educate the public and service animal users.
    One of the current major projects of the National Association of Guide
Dog Users is our national Education & Advocacy Hotline. This project is
being designed to provide educational information to callers concerning the
training and use of guide dogs, as well as information about our rights of
access under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, The
Air carrier Access Act, and state law. This hotline will also afford those
who are facing discrimination to speak with a trained advocate to assist in
the amicable, speedy resolutions of their access issues.
    Once this hotline is tested and working properly, we will disseminate
information through our many partner networks, including the media. We are
also planning to make double-sided decals businesses can put on their doors
announcing "Service Animals Welcome", informational cards with
industry-specific information concerning access, such as for airline
personnel, taxi drivers, restaurants & hotels, and hospitals, about access
to these places. We are also investigating items of interest to service
animal users, such as bag dispensers, harness pouches, and backstraps,
emblazoned with our logo, name, and hotline number.
    The challenge we have with education is the element of free will with
which we are all endowed. There is no way to force an individual to learn
the information with which we present them nor to change their behavior
given this information. For this reason, our educational efforts sometimes
necessitate litigation and the introduction of measures that include
penalties for failure to comply with social norms, such as fines and
incarceration. For instance, we are currently working with the Illinois
Attorney General's office to require Baxter Worldwide to allow service
animal users their legal right to be accompanied by their animals while
donating blood and plasma, a practice they currently forbid in violation of
Federal laws. We are working with a private attorney in a case involving a
condominium association in Florida that is harrassing a guide dog user
because of her choice to use a service animal. We are also encouraging guide
dog schools to implement policies that would transfer ownership of guide
dogs, as well as all of the rights and privileges associated with these
rights to the individual upon graduation.
    I hope this message has helped you understand that the National
Association of Guide Dog Users and the National Federation of the Blind are
making a concerted effort to educate the public about the issues of concern
faced by the blind, in general, and guide dog users, in particular. We
realize that the best way to make change is through collective action.
Working cooperatively with a common purpose and toward a common goal is the
fundamental reason the National Federation of the Blind was formed. Guided
by our philosophy of independence and self-determination, we are the moving,
primary force in the lives of the blind. This status is not borne out of
self-grandizing nor resulting in complacency; rather, it is a historical
fact and the result of our hard work and determination, while an energizing
force to move us forward. We are, after all, a movement with all of the
dynamic elements this term implies! "Come! Join me on the barricades and we
will make it all come true!"
    If you or someone you know would like more information about the
National Association of Guide Dog Users and the National Federation of the
Blind, please feel free to get in touch with us. Our contact information is
below my signature.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NFB-NAGDU.ORG